Sunday, October 10, 2010

Almost working Part 1

For the most part, it is assembled, only things remaining are to add the table surface (it'll not be a rotary table or anything, though adding that is an option later), and a pair of switches onto the Z-axis.

Software is what's currently holding me back, I'm in the process of modifying the modification of the reprap code located here on google code to handle having two controllers on i2c. I may go through later and make it compatible with the default one, but for now, I've managed to hack it up enough, it's broken most of it.

Also, one important thing to do is to change the i2c bus to be 400kbps, which translates to a byte about every 20 microseconds, vs about 80 by default. (Assuming my arithmetic is right, and it's 4 am. ) This can be done via a #define (
#define TWI_FREQ_400 400000L) in the header/top, and via setting the proper register via: TWBR = ((F_CPU / TWI_FREQ_400) - 16) / 2; following Wire.begin() in your code. I checked the 328 data sheet, and unfortunately that's the max it supports.

Deficiencies have been noted. Wood for example seems to have a problem warping more than I'm used to. Granted, I last worked on wood about 15 years ago as a kid, for more than just carving. In that time, apparently the regulations have changed on how much wood must be dried, so that the percent is higher from 15% to 19%, and changed from exiting the sawmill, to when it is installed, meaning lumber now days has much less drying than it used to, and tends to warp more. (Apparently that warping is supposed to add strength to lumber if it dries while installed in a wall. Good for that, sucks for me though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment